I Love Seaweed!

I do, I love seaweed.  I have containers of it.  I have it laying around the house and on what I like to call our "Sea Shrines." Which are simply large - somewhat organized piles of things we have found at the beach.

 

102_0013

I promise, there is seaweed in there somewhere.  This is just the largest collection.  We have several others.

I am constantly thinking about how to use all of it as art; including the seaweed.

Years ago I was into paper making and during one of the workshops I hosted, introduced some of the bags of seaweed from Monterey I had collected into the pulp.  I made piles of "Seaweed Inclusion Paper."  And then used it to make frames.  I have none of the pressed frames - at least none with seaweed.  I do have one that was a reject and made from Abaca and Sagebrush:

Homemade paper frames (7)

I lived in Northern Nevada and the Pioneer sites housed the most valuable lost treasure for a junk artist - EVER!

And I have a wall hanging with frames covered with the paper. I used hardware wire and the base and attached the frames with screws.  I put a collage of shells or seaweed in each square except the one that housed the bible verse.

As you can see, it is dusty and the seaweed and shells are falling off.

 

Homemade paper frames (2)

Here are some close-ups of one of a few of the frames and the paper which covers it:

Homemade paper frames (5)

Homemade paper frames (3)

Homemade paper frames (4)

Homemade paper frames (6)

Recently, I have borrowed Deryn Mentock's wrapped bead idea and made a handful of these "seaweed" beads:

Jewelry Round Two (3)

Obviously, I have not perfected it. But what doors have been opened!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your "seaweed" beads! They do look just like they washed up on the beach... Thanks so much for mentioning me here on your blog.

Popular Posts