Ocean Niche

I have always been fascinated with shadow boxes, reliquaries and Nichos. I came across an artist who created paper “reliquaries” and it started my quest.  I love natural items like rocks, shells and seaweed and always want to display them.

I have come up with my own version of  the above using fabric, wire and ocean items. It is interesting to me that I like the broken as much as the whole shells and this is an example.

I used light cotton, cheesecloth, silk chiffon and silk organza and died them with henna or Maui coffee.

The bulk of the seaweed was attached to a not so interesting portion of a shell. The white shell I have never seen before or since. it is so wonderfully swirly.

I finished it off with some hand stitching and attached a frame of annealed wire. It is stiffened with a glue water solution which I used to layer the fabric in the beginning. I think I would layer and machine sew next time as it was a bit hard to sew through.

P1180039

 

 

P1180043

 

P1180050

 

Comments

lori said…
Oh Kelley, I sooooo love it!

Popular Posts