Woo Hoo! The Post Nicotine Art Project Is Finished!

…almost finished. I need to create a funky match book with some text to put in the front window but other than that it is done.

I will take some time to explain the processes involved.

Pete headed up the “Post Nicotine” project and as he received the cards back from the community he scanned them. When all the cards were saved -the kids, Mel and I burnt the edges with a torch. Our first idea was to just simply bind the cards into a funky cover (well, we had at least a month of changing plans before we landed on that one).

I began to bind and realized that I instructed the kids to burn all the same side of the cards which made one side per page upside down. Aggravated, I printed out all the cards in wallet sized format and we created collage pages using Tracy Bautista’s Fusion Dyed Collage Method.  We adapted the materials a bit but the pages turned out great and the kids, Mel and I had SO much fun doodling on them. 

I built the stand out of foam core and painted it with Sophisticated Solutions Iron and Copper. I then used the rust and patina solutions to make the antique effect. The hinges and latch are rayon (thanks to Lisa) which was layered with tissue and then the same solutions were used to rust and patina. Screws are glued into holes to further reinforce the hinges and latch; nails reinforce the bottom – I hope:).  The Post Nicotine sign was a black and white drawing on watercolor paper, scanned and then digitally enhanced. I sprayed the whole thing with workable fixative.

The book cover was created just like the hinges then I sewed around the edges for some reason??? The binder rings are from the hardware store then rusted as well.

I then bound the original postcards with a piano hinge binging using waxed linen and the kids painted the covers with metallic paint.

All-in-all it was a fun project and the kids were exposed to artistic processes they would never get to see in school.

Yahoo for Pa’ia Youth and Cultural Center! You should check out our web page at www.pyccmaui.org and the “Post Nicotine” Blog as well. http://pyccmaui.blogspot.com/

 

If you are a smoker, please don't be offended. We are just doing what we can to creatively help kid think things through.

 

 PostNicotine (1) PostNicotine (2) PostNicotine (4) PostNicotine (5) PostNicotine (7) PostNicotine (8) PostNicotine (9)

You can view some of the pages here:

http://cid-691eec325b69739d.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Post%20Nicotine%20Sample%20Pages?ct=photos&sa=879114857

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts