Back in the swing... Turning to God.

TURN TO…

The first time I see the words "turn to" is in Leviticus  Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:4

It indicates that idols can already be in existence or you can make them yourself.

“‘Cursed be the man who makes a carved or cast metal image, an abomination to the LORD, a thing made by the hands of a craftsman, and sets it up in secret.’ And all the people shall answer and say, ‘Amen.’
Deuteronomy 27:15

“You shall not make for yourself any gods of cast metal.
Exodus 34:17
“You shall have no other gods before me.
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,  but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Exodus 20:3-6

The list of commands not to worship anything but God is extensive but I thought this was interesting:

You shall not make gods of silver to be with me, nor shall you make for yourselves gods of gold.  An altar of earth you shall make for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen. In every place where I cause my name to be remembered I will come to you and bless you.
If you make me an altar of stone, you shall not build it of hewn stones, for if you wield your tool on it you profane it.
And you shall not go up by steps to my altar, that your nakedness be not exposed on it.’
Exodus 20:23-26

Check it out, it is imperative that man does nothing to add a human touch to God. Even His altar was to be made from the earth or natural stones, nothing created with tools in a man's hand.  I think that is amazing. Man can add nothing to God. When man even tries to "pretty up" the altar he is wrong. The altar is where we worship God. It is to reflect God, not an image of Him. Not a decorated elaborate man made anything. It is about God, not man or his work.

Whoa...let it sink in.

I have been working on some baptism images

baptism1baptize 1 copybaptize3

Psalm for the day:

…for I find my delight in your commandments, which I love.
I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.
Psalm 119:47-48

Popular Posts