Bats

We are doing the “Days of Creation” art lessons this year in 3rd Grade Art at Emmanuel Lutheran School of Maui.

We are on Day 5 and so for the past month we have been exploring the “swimming and swarming” creatures.

This week happened to be Halloween so we did a bat art project. I chose a bat because I wanted to point out that even though they are associated with this time of year and made out to be evil – they are not. They were created for a purpose and for God.

For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.  Colossians 1:16 (ESV) 


“Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”  Revelation 4:11 (ESV)

I didn’t get one kid picture as they were wound a bit tightly…I am really unhappy about that as they turned out great.

Here is the project: (I saw this technique years ago and I am sorry, I have no idea who to credit but I use it in my own work a lot and with kids often). Hopefully one or two kids forgot to take them home and I can get a picture next week. I will be sharing a picture that Isaiah gave to me that was just a sketch of bats after he was done with his project which is the cutest – again, next week.

I am using different bat pictures for the demo as I used cardstock that I printed onto to give examples to the kids - then the last one is a quick full project that I did for them in class.

Draw a bat, stars and moon complete with border on a brown paper bag (small lunch kind) with a pencil first then trace with a water-soluble black marker (flair, crayola, Tombo or any off brand-must be water soluble though).

Color the border heavily and trace heavily around the bat.

20141101_105721_Auhana Rd

Spray with water to spread black ink all over. Let dry.

20141101_105730_Auhana Rd

At this point it is hard for the children because they feel like their work is being ruined.

On the bottom of your drawing write this:

God saw that it was good…And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day…

Genesis 1:21 & 23 (ESV)

Using only a good gold pen (sharpie makes a good one as does the gold marker in the Office Max pack of metallic markers) make some dots on the border, in the stars and dots around the moon. Use sparingly. Redraw any details that got washed away with a black marker. Using a good white pen make dots in the eyes and for toes if you drew them and sparingly on the leaves and wings.

I colored in the moon with gold marker so that the kids could see that too much gold can ruin the picture. However, only about three of them followed the “use the gold sparingly rule”…It’s just too tempting.

20141101_105702_Auhana Rd

 

You can see that I drew mine too close to the top as well. When it is folded it cuts off his cute little feet.

I wrote a poem for the project so that they could remember that bats aren’t evil. I printed it on kraft card stock and had them cut it out and attach it to the back. But it would be fun to have them write on the back their own explanation of the importance of bats.

No Need To Be Scared Batty

Moon is rising, shadows creeping while the daytime world is sleeping.

Circling round street lights glowing, searching for his food.

In the stories he is frightening and arrives in storms with lightning.

Dreary scenes with long black shadows, just to make us scared.

Though it's fun to be astounded those old tales are just unfounded.

Wanting nothing more than dinner, he is on the prowl.

Senses deepen as the black grows. Darkness answers with small echoes.

Eyes and nose and ears direct him as he finds his prey.

Peculiar wings, soundless in flight push him along into the night.

Harmlessly he gobbles insects, finishing his task.

Autumn leaves now wet with dewdrops. Sun appears upon the rooftops.

Fragrant air and morning quiet, time to head for home.

 

Carefully cut out the verse and Using a glue stick glue it on the back. Or write your own explanation of what makes a bat good.

Take the stripe of plastic off your tea light and place it in the bottom of your bag. When it gets dark you can turn it on to see your bat glow (we greased our bag so that it would be more translucent but the seam really shows that way).

20141101_105910_Auhana Rd20141101_105855_Auhana Rd

 

I spent a month working out four bat pictures. I will be adding them to my Thanksgiving/Coloring pages – Owls, crows, bats and a turkey.

Popular Posts