Silent But Working

It is so hard to fit  an art obsession into real life and a job but I manage from time to time.  I still haven't figured out where I belong but I try most everything and am a master of none.

My newest trials are mixed media collages of house shapes.  I have lost all my fanciful feelings of Maui except for a few things, one being the plantation style houses. When I look at them I am transported back into time (my imaginary thoughts of 1950's Hawaii) and I once again have that sort of children's book fascination and imagery. 

I have finished one and have 4 others on the burner ready to finish off with threads and beads.

I think I will try to make the "poles" just wire on the next one.

P1060001

This is felt, rayon, organza and broken shells. I have embellished with embroidery floss and beads.

P1060002 

The words are transparency transfers on fabric using Bubble Jet Set. There is some cheese cloth thrown in as well.  All the fabric was dyed with either the Acrylic staining method or Maui Coffee.

I even dyed the spool of thread that I used in the machine stitching parts in coffee.

The frame is wire, Pele's Hair ( I think that is what my friend who gave it to me called it. Many Hawaiians have it thrown over tree branches here.), Sugar Cane and Beads.

 

P1060001_cropped

Comments

Diane said…
Hi Kelley,
This is quite wonderful! I love the soft colors & the intricate detail...Beautiful work!
WendyK said…
Another lovely piece of work I love texture, and this has plenty.

Popular Posts