From Terrible to Acceptable

I wanted to start painting again; I had great success in the past with watercolors and pastel.  Digging into my old toolbox full of old painting materials I lovingly set out my watercolor palette and cut my almost $20.00 sheet of Fabriano Hot Press Watercolor paper.

At the end of a day-long trial, the three ugly paintings, covering one with pastel, switching to gouache and Somerset Velvet Black paper I was despondent.  Nothing, not one good result amongst the pile of wasted paper.

Because I am floundering and need direction, I decided that maybe it was a sign that “painting is just not my game.”  However, I am also tenacious to a FAULT so before trashing it all, I decided to scan one and fix it in Painter 11.  This is the progression of one of those disasters:

SCAN0044

This is just a portion of the original watercolor turned pastel.

Next, is the finished Painter fix:

house2

Not very exciting but there are parts I like such as the background tree and the light on the lanai.

I added a few colored layers and changed the merge modes to get this:

house23 

I am still not sure whether painting is "my game" or if I want to get back into the grove of it all but I like this much better.  I would change a few things even now and am grateful for the computer and Corel anything.

 

 

Just an FYI, these cats were feral and the man who lived here fed them. He then moved and they were abandoned. I think of how grateful I am that God promised that He will never leave or abandon his own – biblically speaking – we are all feral.

Comments

Popular Posts