June 4, 2010 Psalm 116 – Oh, the flaws of my nature that are revealed in times of turmoil!

It never ceases to amaze me how little I deserve the care I get-but God has been merciful to me again. It is a small thing for God and in the light of what other people deal with it is very small but for us losing our dog in another town was torment. Our son's apartment caught on fire two days before our dog got lost and that was super scary. They lost most everything but they are all okay. Again it is was God's mercy to them and us that no one was burned or injured in anyway. I trust that He will provide the things that they need to replace.

It also amazes me how fast I come undone and the very bad character flaws that arise in an emergency.  I am so glad that God is merciful about that as well. What shall I render to the LORD for all his benefits to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD,
Psalms 116:12-13 (ESV)
I hope i remember this:

Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!
I will praise the LORD as long as I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish.
Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God,
who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, who keeps faith forever;
Psalms 146:1-6 (ESV)

I in no way want to say that God is not merciful in nature if Kilei would have remained lost. I still knew that God was God and all the things He says He is. And even if He chose to take her, He was still a merciful God. I should have been punished if He were not. I should never have had any mercy if He was not. We should all be expelled from His presence if He is not Merciful.  However, In the midst of despair I was reminded that my faith must be in God not in the prayers I have always prayed or were praying at that time. I was shaken and questioning the prayer part until I came to that conclusion.

 

Check out today’s Morning Devotion from Morning and Evening-blows my mind.

June 4

Morning Verse

"The kindness and love of God our Saviour." Titus 3:4

How sweet it is to behold the Saviour communing with His own beloved people! There can be nothing more delightful than, by the Divine Spirit, to be led into this fertile field of delight. Let the mind for an instant consider the history of the Redeemer's love, and a thousand enchanting acts of affection will suggest themselves, all of which have had for their design the weaving of the heart into Christ, and the intertwisting of the thoughts and emotions of the renewed soul with the mind of Jesus. When we meditate upon this amazing love, and behold the all-glorious Kinsman of the Church endowing her with all His ancient wealth, our souls may well faint for joy. Who is he that can endure such a weight of love? That partial sense of it which the Holy Spirit is sometimes pleased to afford, is more than the soul can contain; how transporting must be a complete view of it! When the soul shall have understanding to discern all the Saviour's gifts, wisdom wherewith to estimate them, and time in which to meditate upon them, such as the world to come will afford us, we shall then commune with Jesus in a nearer manner than at present. But who can imagine the sweetness of such fellowship? It must be one of the things which have not entered into the heart of man, but which God hath prepared for them that love Him. Oh, to burst open the door of our Joseph's granaries, and see the plenty which He hath stored up for us! This will overwhelm us with love. By faith we see, as in a glass darkly, the reflected image of His unbounded treasures, but when we shall actually see the heavenly things themselves, with our own eyes, how deep will be the stream of fellowship in which our soul shall bathe itself! Till then our loudest sonnets shall be reserved for our loving benefactor, Jesus Christ our Lord, whose love to us is wonderful, passing the love of women.

Charles Hadden Spurgeon, Morning and Evening, WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "June 4".

P1040954_cropped 

Kilei our little doll.

Comments

Popular Posts