May 19, 2011 - Acts 8:1-25

So the Christians fled and scattered about but the Apostles stayed there. Just think about that...if things remained the same the church would have grown right there and probably at a slower rate elsewhere. It would spread some because of people visiting each other and witnessing and meeting people while doing business. But how much faster if people were dispersed all around? It says in verse4:

Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word. Acts 8:4 (ESV)

I don't understand why people received the Holy Spirit only after the apostle's laid hands on them. It doesn't happen that way now. When did it change and what was the reason it was this way to begin with? I do think that things were done differently throughout time, sort of like steps...step 1, step 2 and so on. It is the same with the way similar things were done differently in the Old Testament and when Jesus  walked the earth to now. There seems to be a progression in how things are done and whey they change to fulfill God's plan.

Lastly, poor Simon, he did believe but he immediately fell. Other new believers fall too and don’t completely understand everything about their new faith and what to do.  So why was he so strongly rebuked? His sin had something to do with being in bondage to serving Satan and bitterness. Not sure what the bitterness has to do with it but we know from other scriptures that it defiles everyone who comes in contact with the person suffering from it. Plus, we know that God deeply hates witchcraft. Both bitterness and magic defile everyone around.  These verses were in my bible as cross references:

Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the LORD our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit, Deuteronomy 29:18 (ESV)

See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; Hebrews 12:15 (ESV)

Let us watch for turning away, it appears that it’s fruit is bitterness.

I have spent two full days working on a few paintings and drawings and I must admit I don’t have much to show for it. I need to remember to love the process and not be so result oriented. This is a vacation I know but I have so little time in my regular life and I wanted it full of success.

Project 2 – Inktense pencils, Prismacolor pencils and Neocolor II/water-soluble crayons. I will be re-doing this today. I don’t know why I can’t get it right the first time – EVER!scan0007

Popular Posts